Determine if the sources found are reliable and credible.
Research Writing EXD 330-110
You have six months to complete this contract
Module 1 Overview
Research – it’s not a word that most of us like. Add “Research Paper” and many people break out in a cold sweat. Never fear! This course will cover the steps for writing a research paper ONE at a time. In Module 1, we will start by finding one current controversial article. By Module 4, an entire research paper will come together. Let’s call it an “Argumentative Synthesis” so no one breaks out in hives!
Module 1 Objectives
Upon completion of this module, you will be able to:
· Demonstrate the ability to use The University of Alabama’s Scout search engine to find current, controversial sources.
· Determine if the sources found are reliable and credible.
· Identify the importance of highlighting and annotating possible sources.
· Understand the importance of asking questions about your sources to establish credibility
· Understand how to create an annotated bibliography.
· Understand how to summarize and evaluate an article.
Module 1 Readings
*Example of MLA formatting used for first page of all writing assignments found on page 59 and 465.
Read pages 357-375 & 375-389 – under Researching – green R
Read pages 71-75 – under Academic Writing – yellow A
Watch all video tutorials to learn how to use Scout and proper researching techniques.
Module 1 Assignment 1: Research using Scout
For this assignment, you will use the readings and videos to find your first current, controversial source. This assignment is worth 10 points.
Module 1 Assignment 2: Evaluating the source
For this assignment you will be using the article you selected in the first assignment and your text to answer questions. This assignment is worth 10 points.
Module 1 Assignment 3: Highlight and Annotate
Review pages 71 -75. For this assignment, you will need to highlight and annotate your article. Every time you highlight a word or section, stop and explain why. You can highlight and annotate in a pdf file or in a Word file. This assignment is worth 10 points.
Module 1 Assignment 4: Annotated Bibliography
Review pages 369-389. For this assignment, you will start an annotated bibliography. See example on p. 387. Make sure to include the entry, a summary and an evaluation. Center Annotated Bibliography at the top of the page. Make sure to use double spacing and 12 point font in Times New Roman. This assignment is worth 30 points.
Note: Your bibliographic entry will be done for you by UA Scout, but if you want to know why different parts are put in a particular order, you can look at pages 422-461 for a complete breakdown of all kinds of entries. A bibliography is a list of ALL sources consulted; a Works Cited is a list of only the sources used in a particular paper. Since we are using all five sources, the same sources will be listed for both of these assignments.
Module 1 = 60 points
Module 2 Overview
After reading an article, if you can turn to a friend and summarize it, then you obviously understood what you read. Moreover, if you can explain what made the article effective, you can also decide if the article is relevant and helpful to your research. In this module, you will understand the importance of being able to summarize, analyze and use the writing process.
Module 2 Objectives
Upon completion of Module 2, you will be able to:
· Review the importance of highlighting and annotating what you read.
· Review the importance of asking questions about your sources to establish credibility.
· Review the importance of being able to summarize what you read.
· Understand how to create a written analysis of an article.
· Identify the importance of using the writing process which includes: creating a working thesis and an organizational plan, highlighting and annotating a rough draft version, and revising a final draft.
Module 2 Readings
Review pages 71-77 yellow tab A and pages 357-389 green tab R.
Read pages 75-88 yellow tab A.
Module 2 Assignment 1: Research – two more articles
For this assignment you will continue to use Scout. This time you will locate two additional articles on the same topic you selected in Module 1. This assignment is worth 20 points. (10 points per article)
The post Determine if the sources found are reliable and credible. appeared first on best homeworkhelp.