Summarize and discuss the ways that formal policies of government have influenced the direction of historical and social development i
- To support your position, use three specific examples from different decades between 1865 and 1930. You may narrowly focus on race or gender or immigrant status, or you may use examples relevant to all categories.
- Explain why the opposing view is weak in comparison to yours.
- Consider your life today: In what way does the history you have shown shape or impact issues in your workplace or desired profession?
The paper should be 500-to-750 words in length. This normally means 3-to-4 pages for the body of the paper. (The title page and Sources page do not count in these calculations.) Double-space between lines. Format instructions are below.
Research and References:
You must use a MINIMUM of three sources; the Schultz textbook must be one of them. Your other two sources should be drawn from the list provided below. This is guided research, not open-ended Googling. You will have a list of Sources at the end, using SWS format. You will have short, SWS-style in-text citations to those sources appropriately placed in the body of the paper. Except as your instructor might direct, don’t use other sources for your paper than those listed here. (Of course, for “starter research” you can read many sources.)
Source List for Assignment 1:
Be sure to use the Schultz text as a source. Use at least two of the other sources listed here. Some sources are “primary” sources from the time period being studied. Some sources below can be accessed via direct link or through the primary sources links on Blackboard. Each week has a different list of primary sources. For others, they are accessible through the permalink to the source in our online library: Sources below having libdatab.strayer.edu as part of the URL have a permalink to that source in our university’s online library.
SWS Form for the textbook: Kevin M. Schultz. 2018. HIST: Volume 2: U.S. History since 1865. 5th ed.
Choose sources relevant to the topic and position you are taking:
- Y. Abu-Laban & V. Lamont. 1997. Crossing borders: Interdisciplinary, Immigration and the Melting Pot in the American Cultural Imaginary. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=392542&site=eds-live&scope=site
- Black Testimony on the Aftermath of Enslavement. 1866. Report of the Joint Committee on Reconstruction. http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/black_testimony.htm
- Chinese Exclusion Act. 1882. http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/chinese_exclusion_act.htm
- Civil War Journeys. n.d. The Lost Cause. http://civil-war-journeys.org/the_lost_cause.htm
- J. C. Bancroft Davis. 1896. Plessy vs. Ferguson.http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/plessy_ferguson_1896.htm
- Fitzgerald, M. W. January, 2018. Terrorism and Racial Coexistence in Alabama’s Reconstruction. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=edb&AN=127269628&site=eds-live&scope=site
- G. M. Foster. Feb. 24, 2002. The Lost Cause. http://www.civilwarhome.com/lostcause.html
- S. S. Harjo. 1996. Now and Then: Native Peoples in the United States. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=eue&AN=507507152&site=eds-live&scope=site
- J. Meacham. 2017. Our Historical Ambivalence about Immigrants is a Great American Paradox. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=edb&AN=121093561&site=eds-live&scope=site
- Mississippi Black Code. n.d. http://chnm.gmu.edu/courses/122/recon/code.html
- W. G. Moody. 1883. Bonanza Farming and Its Impact. http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/bonanza_farming_impact.htm
- E. F. Parsons. Feb., 2011. Klan Skepticism and Denial in Reconstruction-Era Public Discourse. http://libdatab.strayer.edu/login?url=https://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=a9h&AN=57671212&site=eds-live&scope=site
- Populist Party Platform. 1896. http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/populist_partyplatform_1896.htm
- Kevin M. Schultz. 2018. HIST: Volume 2: U.S. History since 1865. 5th ed.
- Upton Sinclair. 1906. Attack on the Meatpackers.http://college.cengage.com/history/wadsworth_9781133309888/unprotected/ps/attack_meatpackers.htm
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Be typed, double spaced between lines, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow SWS format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The paper must be submitted (uploaded and attached) in the course shell provided online.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Identify and discuss the different ways that the heritage of slavery, the Civil War, Reconstruction, and segregation have shaped America’s history.
- Specify ways that women and minorities have responded to challenges and made contributions to American culture.
- Summarize and discuss the ways that formal policies of government have influenced the direction of historical and social development in the United States.
- Recognize the major turning points in American history since the Civil War.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in contemporary U.S. history.
- Write clearly and concisely about contemporary U.S. history using proper writing mechanics.
The post Summarize and discuss the ways that formal policies of government have influenced the direction of historical and social development i appeared first on best homeworkhelp.
"Looking for a Similar Assignment? Get Expert Help at an Amazing Discount!"