the red tent
answer them thoughtfully and thoroughly using direct evidence (quotes) from the text to support your answers.
1. Consider the marital dynamics of Jacob���s family. He has four wives. Think about the wives��� relationships with each other and relationships with Jacob. What
is your opinion of the relationships between the wives in this family What seem to be the advantages/disadvantages (for men, for women, and for children) of a man
having multiple wives in the particular time/place in which the narrative takes place Be specific and detailed in your answers.
2. Who is Inna What is her relationship to Jacob���s family Why might she be an important asset to the family
3. How do Dinah���s mothers react when Jacob announces major changes (moving location, meeting Esau and so on) that affect the entire family Does Jacob consult
his wives or ask their opinion What does Jacob seem to expect from his wives in this regard
4. When Dinah visits her grandmother, Rebecca, she is traumatized by an incident between Rebecca and one of Esau���s daughters, Tabea. According to the narrative,
why did Rebecca react so violently What do you think was at stake for her
5. How does Jacob react when he learns about the ceremonial rites for Dinah when she begins to menstruate Why might he react in such a way What is at stake
for him as a patriarch What is the effect on the family, his wives, on Dinah